Meet David Glover, MS, CSCS – Endurance Coach, Athlete and Author
In his own words:
I still vividly remember my first triathlon in 1995 – a sprint-distance race in Atlantic Beach, Florida. I had recently completed radiation and surgery for cancer while active duty in the U.S. Navy so I wanted to prove to myself that, even though I had cancer, cancer did not have me. I nervously lined up at the starting line with my swim wave, but when the starting gun went off, all of my fear and anxiety disappeared. I finished in the middle of my age group that race, but I was instantly hooked.
In my third year of triathlon under my friend Phil’s influence, I discovered the IRONMAN® distance (2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run) and have now successfully completed 28 races (8:51 PR) including competing in the IRONMAN Hawaii World Championship and winning 5x IRONMAN-distance events overall. In 2007, I was selected for the Vineman Hall of Fame and my profile appears on the back of all the finisher’s medals from that year. Overall, I’ve competed in more than 100 triathlon events.
In addition to the numerous articles he’s written, David published Full Time & Sub-Nine: Fitting Iron Distance Training into Everyday Life, a book about his experiences at the Naval Academy, surviving cancer and his rise from age grouper to an elite level IRONMAN-distance triathlete – all while working a full time 9-to-5 job.
David’s education includes:
- U.S. Naval Academy (BS in Computer Science, 1993)
- Catholic University of America (MSE in Engineering Management, 1998)
- Eastern Michigan University (MS in Exercise Physiology, 2011)
David’s athletic accomplishments include:
- 1st overall at Vineman Full Triathlon (2001, 2007)
- 1st overall at Blue Devil Full Triathlon (2002-2004)
- 1st overall at Ocala Marathon (2007)
- Top 20 overall at Spartan Race Ultra-Beast (2012)
- 8:51 IRONMAN® distance personal best
- 2:46 marathon personal best
- 28x IRONMAN® distance finisher
- 8x USA Triathlon All-American
- USA Triathlon Elite (pro) license (2007-2009)